Prep Time: 10 Minutes || Cook Time: 30 Minutes || Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion (thinly sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeds and pith removed, thinly sliced)
- 2 20 oz. cans green jackfruit in brine (rinsed and drained; seeds removed and center “core” pieces chopped
- Jackfruit carnitas spice blend (recipe below)
- 1 orange (fresh squeezed)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- freshly-squeezed lime juice to taste
- 3 tbsp of Don Sazon Porkchop Seasoning
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers along with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Then add the jackfruit to the pan and stir. (If needed, use a towel to pat excess liquid from the jackfruit) Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 5-6 minutes or until the jackfruit has dried out somewhat.
Add about two-thirds of the Don Sazon Adobada seasoning to the pan and stir. Cook for about 60 seconds or until fragrant. Reserve remaining spice blend to season to taste at the end of cooking, if desired. (I use almost all of it, but I like it pretty heavily spiced).
Now add the orange juice, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and liquid smoke, and stir until fully incorporated.
Simmer until most of the liquid is cooked off, about 15 minutes.
Season to taste with any additional salt, spice mix, and fresh lime juice. Serve hot and enjoy.